The self proclaimed "Foodie"

The self proclaimed "Foodie"
Don't Talk About It, Be About It

About Me

My photo
Uptwon Baby, New York, United States
Sassy chic with great sense of humor...if you're funny that is ;p Born in the Dominican Republic but raised in New York. I love love love chocolate...my fav bar is the Snickers, you bring me one of those and I'm your friend. #1 motto "Don't Talk About it, Be About it"

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Who Am I Really?

I feel tests like the Personal Profile System should be taken with a grain of salt. One thing these tests don't take into account is how well different personalities mesh with others. For instance someone could be profiled as a leader, but if people don't like them for a b or c reason, they won't respect their leadership. Whether you've been profiled as a D, I, C, or S, how you interact with certain personalities will affect your leadership style.

Perception is a funny thing. How you see yourself will never match up 100% to how others see you. I took this test from the professional perspective. I wanted to see how I would be perceived at work. I failed though to realize that I was answering many of the questions within the constraint of my current position, administrative assistant. Since my role itself does not allow much autonomy, I found myself answering the questions in a more passive manner. I expected to be closer to a "D" profile, but instead was profiled as a "C". After looking at the tendencies and desires of a "C" I agreed I possess most of them. However, when I looked at "D", I also felt I possessed many of those traits as well.

In my life outside of work I tend to be more of a leader. I like to be in charge or at least have a say in anything I'm involved with. Am I a control freak? Absolutely not. But I do like to voice my opinions and I'm not afraid to go against the status quo. Although I expected to be a "D" I don't feel bad about being a "C". I think there are many jobs that require different profiles over others. I do however think I have the potential to become a "D" because it's something that I lean towards in my life outside of work.

Overall, I feel this kind of testing would be helpful to assessing someone's leadership / management style. But, I feel it should only be a supplement to scenario testing. If I were using this as a hiring tool, I would give the test, and see what profile is leaned towards. I would then place the applicant in scenarios that test the accuracy of the profile they've been given.

4 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you got a C by answering based on your current work position but more of a D outside of work. It's good that you can adapt and become one or the another depending on the work environment and situation. That flexibility is a great advantage to have. Though, it is easier to develop different management styles when you already have certain traits of each of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the projects that i have worked with you i realized that you possessed c-type and d-type characteristics. When we had to deal with problems you were never the one who did not address your opinion. I like that about you because when we were facing challenging dilemmas you stepped up and said what you thought. You are not the most demanding but you definitely got your point across in many occasions

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was working with you during our activities, I definitely thought you had both qualities of a C and D profile. You definitely showed D and C profile when you gave a lot of attention to key directions that Prof. K gave us and you definitely had no problem voicing your opinions on the activities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever I worked with you on the class activities I had the sense that you were a C and D, just like me. Perhaps that's why in most of the activities we got along pretty well and even won some on thems. They say that great minds think alike! indeed! :D

    ReplyDelete